Into the Void - Lucky We Had a Mother's Attic

After a good sleep, we all were up and ready to go! I got some breakfast at McDonald's for everyone and the loader men arrived on time. It took them about 4 hours to pack the truck. The choice of the larger truck was a good one. As they got the last few things out on the lawn, they put them in one by one and crammed the last piece in the last little corner of the truck. Everything fit just perfectly. Some last ropes to hold everything in place, a lock on the door, and I was ready to roll.


The look of supreme confidence as I begin the 3200 mile journey! Moving made easier! I gingerly pulled the heavy truck out of the tight parking lot area around 2:00pm, rolling over some curbs to the snickers of the those watching.

We have made many visits to Baltimore over the last few years and it is a great city. We are going to miss visiting here. So here is a hearty salute to BALTIMORE, MARYLAND (of course, I like Seattle better).

As you leave the loop freeway around Baltimore and merge onto I-70 heading west, there is a sign showing the mileages to the major points westward. This freeway ultimately terminates at Cove Fort in Utah.

I headed west on I70, through Maryland, but this time not going up into Pennsylvania. I continued through the panhandle of Maryland, crossing into West Virginia in the late afternoon.

First impressions:

1. The truck has some sort of restricting device, so you can't use the accelerator over 70
MPH...not that I can go that fast. With the traffic, I find I am most comfortable in the
right lane going about 60-65 MPH. This is going to be a long trip.

2. The truck is very noisy. The driver window seal is not good and the wind whistles through
right next to my ear. Annoying. The truck rattles and shakes also.

3. There is no cruise control, so you have to keep your feet constantly manipulating the gas
and brakes. I think my knees are going to be sore in a few days.

4. I got comfortable with the sight lines, passing, handling the truck, etc. quite quickly and
felt much more comfortable after only a few hours.

My sleep schedule has been thrown off a bit, and I got really drowsy about 7pm, so I stopped for the night in Morgantown, West Virginia (University of West Virginia). I also hit a driving rainstorm and it was a little spooky swaying in the wind. Had a nice quiet dinner in a restaurant adjoining the hotel.

No comments: