Heading to Utah




I spent several weeks in February in Utah helping out with my Dad. Since I was driving down, I decided to take a detour (shock) and check out a spot I had read about recently in a book titled "The Big Burn" (I highly tout this book). It tells the story of one of the greatest forest fires in U.S. history, if not the greatest, and, as a sub-plot, the story of Ed Pulaski. Ed saved the lives of many firefighters by hiding them in an old mine shaft (see picture). The Forest Service has recently completed a new memorial trail to Pulaski near Wallace, Idaho (which was burned to the ground in the fire). The trail ends at the actual mine shaft. The memorial and trail are very well done - check it out after reading the book! This is a great break idea for that drive to Utah if you are going the Montana route.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting Dad!