Aviation History

Was up early and on my way. First, I stopped by one of the visitor centers for the Dayton Aviation National Historic Park. It is made up of a number of aviation-related sites commemorating aviation history in the Dayton area. After their flight in North Carolina, the Wright Brothers returned to Dayton and their business enterprise (bicycles), but devoted much of their time trying to develop a plane that could not only fly, but would be practical. They used a vacant field near Dayton to test their ideas, in time developing a plane that accomplished their goal. The movie on the Wright Brothers in the Center was exceptional, one of the best I have seen at a national site (and I have seen many).

The Wright Brother's Memorial next to the DANHP visitor center. What a beautiful spot on a beautiful day!


The area, known as Huffman Prairie Flying Field, where the Brothers tested their planes. It is called the first airport in the world.

The big presence in Dayton, employing 13,000 people, is Wright-Patterson AFB. It is a huge, sprawling facility, and on its grounds is the United States Air Force Museum. A fabulous facility, with hundreds of airplanes and exhibits. I could have spend all day walking around, but had to hurry more than I would have liked. It is rumored that the remains of the aliens from the Roswell Incident were brought here for analysis - didn't see any of that in the Museum.

While they were developing their airplanes, the Wright Brothers financed their activities with their successful bicycle business. The shop has been restored quite nicely. Interestingly enough, one of the reasons they chose Huffman Prairie was the trolley car line that went by their home, and to the end of the line at Huffman Prairie, eight miles away. That way, they could travel daily by trolley, using the public transportation to carry their tools and materials to the flying area.


Crossed into Indiana after leaving Dayton (hello State #5). I really think that Indiana is the crossroads of the nation - I have never seen so many trucks. They probably know something about the shortest routes across the United States. I liked Indianapolis. Clean and things happening. Made a quick stop at the President Benjamin Harrison Home and the Indianapolis Speedway. The speedway opened today for the beginning of the trials and testing for the 500 (the race is on May 27). I was surprised by how big it is - I thought that only parts of it had grandstands, but the entire huge area is rimmed by very large bleachers. It must hold hundreds of thousands of people. I am going to add it to my "future things to go to" list.




It was a fun day crossing Indiana. Flat and rural. Beautiful farms. Country music blaring in my ears. I got a room in Crawfordsville, Indiana. Nice steak dinner - yummmmmm.