Transcontinental Journey - Phase I

Jon begins his new job in Seattle on Monday. He was going to rent a car until he could get his two cars, family, and belongings across the country next month. Cher is staying in Baltimore and finishing the packing, while the kids finish the school year. Then, we (Jon, Cher, and I) were going to drive the whole schebang to Seattle the first week of June. As we talked about it, it occurred to us that maybe I ought to fly back now and drive one of the cars for Jon to use and thus save the rental costs. He could use my car in Seattle until I arrive and we could then just switch. How do you decide to drive 3000+ miles on the spur of the moment? Well, maybe it is one of those things that seemed like a good idea at the time. It does make sense logistically, and perhaps it is better undertaken WITHOUT thinking about it too much. Then multiply it by two in the space of a month and....and....and....am I perhaps losing my mind? Time will tell. I drove to Seattle last night and caught a Southwest flight to Baltimore, via Chicago Midway. I got into BWI at about 8:30pm Eastern, and Jon and kids were there waiting for me as I rolled my bags out of the airport.

It was a glorious day to fly across the country. I had a window seat and as we crossed West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Maryland, the light was hitting the Alleghenies just right and it was spectacular. I love how those mountains go northeast-southwest in orderly rows, with all the roads and towns tucked in the furrows. We live in a beautiful country.

1 comment:

Texas Andertons said...

You have been a busy man! Hope you get back to Wenatchee safely. And thanks for the wisdom and advice on finances! Love ya

Matt and Megan