1979 Seattle Supersonics and 2014 Seattle Seahawks




If I remember my personal history correctly (and if I am making an error here, someone please correct me) it seems like I was always doing something with the young men of our Church when important things in Seattle sports history occurred. The date was June 1, 1979, and the Sonics were up 3 games to 1 in the NBA Finals. I had a van load of the youth from the Seattle Eighth Ward and we were on the road from I-5 to the base of Mt. St. Helen's (which, by the way, blew up the next summer). We were going to summit the mountain early the next morning. The Sonics were on the road back east playing the Bullets and it was a close game. The problem was, the game was going down to the wire and we were losing our radio signal. Finally, we had to stop, capture the last of the weak radio play-by-play, and hear the Sonics win 97-93 to take it all. I remember we all got out of the car and danced around, celebrating Seattle's first major professional sports championship.

Forward to 2014 after decades of frustration with Sonics, Mariners, and Seahawks (sorry, I am not counting women playing basketball or men kicking a checkered ball around). And the Seahawks in dominating fashion erase all of that frustration with a Super Bowl Championship. Now all of us frustrated Seattle sports fans can exult in something truly awesome. And I was in Colombia when it happened. Groan.

1 comment:

Rick Merrill said...

Oh yeah, I have always remembered that! I also have vague memories when you were in the bishopric of sneaking out the back of Sacrament Meeting to our blue van to check a score on the radio, then coming back in and signaling you on the stand with thumbs up or down...