New Mexico IV - Taos

We set out for Taos on the morning of the 3rd, a beautiful fall day. At Espanola, we hit the Rio Grande again and followed it upstream on Route 68. Lots of river rafting going on. As we rounded the corner at Embudo, a colorful blur caught our eyes and we pulled over. Welcome to the Classical Gas Museum, free of charge, thank you. If you like old gas stations, this is your place!






Some Damn Fine Stuff (Reference
Intentionally Vague)

The Flamingo Grotto

Some Damn Fine Stuff, Part II
Taos is interesting. It oozes artsy. Smaller than I thought. Taosans aren't into mowing lawns or pulling weeds. You just let things grow like they would in the Garden of Eden. Wait......were there weeds in the Garden of Eden? No buildings over two stories and no piece of art for less than $5,000.00. I don't think I saw one that I would consider buying. Clean streets. No plan for traffic flow - the light at the main intersection downtown backed up traffic for blocks all day. Artists painting on the sidewalks - fun for a day.



We did like the tour of Kit Carson's home. They had a nice video about his life and some pretty cool memorabilia (his guns, for example). I have read several books about Kit, so this visit was right up my alley.

Kit Carson Home


Taos Boardwalk

1 comment:

LGH said...

Allen has always wanted to visit Taos. With your writ-up and pictures, you may have helped convinced me that I would like to visit also.