Loss of a Father

As the days pass, I often contemplate the temporal death of my father and how complex and wonderful is the relationship of a father and son. The months preceding his passing, and the experiences I had with him then, and the events of that week in October will stay with me forever. It is sad for everyone to be temporarily apart, yet I feel happy for him. He can again do a lot of things he really enjoys (like read a book or do a crossword puzzle) that had been taken away from him as his health failed. The parting is something we can endure. Why? Because I know his spirit lives and he is still with us. I know it. And we will be with him again. It was, for me, a wonderful experience to enjoy a perfect weekend with my extended family. Everyone did so well expressing themselves in word and song, the weather was perfect, and I personally thought the entire weekend was perfectly matched to the man. I am sure there were many that came away from the experience with a renewed vigor to increase their stride. "And I heard a voice from heaven saying, 'Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on.' 'Blessed indeed,' says the Spirit, 'that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!" Revelation 14:13








1 comment:

Amy D. said...

Such a handsome picture of Grandpa. I don't know if I've ever seen that one. It was a great weekend to honor a great man.