The Clip-on Tie

Oh, the lonely life of the clip-on tie. They are loners. No roots. Few friends. Several months ago, I was in one of my favorite exclusive men's clothing stores, Walmart, and saw some of these scorned survivors of a more enlightened age on a sale rack. I thought..."Miniarms, those would be easier to use than choking yourself with a noose every time you go to a Church meeting". So I became the proud owner of two magnificent clip-on ties. They are also perfect for traveling. Easy care, and they slide right into the side pocket of the suitcase. What could be more efficient, I thought? While in St. George, I wore one of my new ties to Church. After Sacrament Meeting, as we were leaving the chapel, I heard the booming voice of the Branch President, "Did someone lose their tie?". As I was turning my head to look, I snickered to KR...."who would be dumb enough to lose their tie in Church". But as I got a good look, I thought to myself, "that looks like my clip-on". I glanced down....sure enough, no tie. Now you know the rest of the story. Clip-on ties do have their shortcomings.


4 comments:

Seattle Jon said...

It took a sick day to finally get caught up on your blog!

Kimball said...

A good clip-on was always a hot commodity in the mission. As I recall, Elder Sandoval had a great one that I tired to talk him out of a few times. Don't let one bad experience turn you off to the ease and comfort of the clip-on!

Mom A said...

I love your clip-ons! Much faster to help you get those on than the big long guys.

The Gilson Family said...

Big clip-ons are hard to find. Usually they are reserved for just little kids. I knew missionaries who would "home-make" them. They would buy little ones rip them apart and use the pieces to make big ones. They could use any tie...you have to admit, the choices are slim if you are in that market.